Saturday, February 9, 2019

Nolan James Cook

Nolan is probably our last baby but he, just like the other three, is proved so much he is such a happy baby and brings me so much joy.

His birth story

This pregnancy was a surprise to me. It wasnt a good time to get pregnant. We were still living with James parents. We didn't really know what was going to happen for us. We were in limbo. We did not need another baby. But of course inlonged for another baby for a long time. I didnt want a huge gap between our kids and knew we were not through with just three kids. I would secretly cry each month I got my period. Then one month I knew before ever finding out. I kept track of when my period would come, the exact day. We were visiting friends in Utah for a maybe move. It was a couple of days before Thanksgiving. I told myself I wouldn't take the pregnancy test with me, as not to get my Hope's up. I would also take the necessary items if I did start my period. But if I didnt happen to get my period I would probably be pregnant and i would take a test when we got back. Well the couple of days past. My period never came. Maybe I was actually pregnant.  Maybe there was a new baby growing inside me. All of these thoughts were my own. James wasnt really sure he was ready for another baby. When we got home the day before Thanksgivings I took the test and it was positive. I was overjoyed.

I waited till the afternoon to tell James. Who didnt be live ne at first.

The pregnancy was much like my other pregnancies. It was easy not much sickness or nauseous as long as a ate and st aw yes hydrated. Towards the end it was so painful. My sciatic nerve took a turn for the worst the last couple of months. So bad that there were days I couldn't walk and stayed in bed. Luckily it was summertime so the kids and I didnt have anywhere to go.

The kids were all excited to have another baby. Most of us hoped it would be a girl to even it out Elizabeth especially wanted a little sister. I wanted her to have a sister as well. She is such a kind and loving soul and I know she would cherish the love of a sister.

He was due on Jult 30th. I still held lit hope that I would have one baby come naturally but knew it was probably inevitable that I would have to be induced. Though I was given the option to get indicted as early as 29 weeks I decided to go a week overdue. My midwife and I set my induction to the 6th. The hospital, which was new to me, had the policy that they call anywhere between 12 am to 12 am the next morning. I was anxious the whole night that they would call me. I was ready and willing but the 6th. I just wanted to be done with this pregnancy and more importantly get this sciatica pain under control.

Well the morning of the 6th came. I like to get ready and do my hair. So that's what I did. 8 o clock rolls around and we still hadn't had a call. We just went about our morning. I ended up calling the hospital. I had first priority to others since I was a week over due. But some to find out they did t have any rooms open. So at this point I resolved I was never having this baby. They called me just after noon and told me to come in and be there in an hour.

Yeah, the time had come to go to the hospital. Ad I got there, the excitement was overwhelming. I was meeting my baby today.

I don't dilate very much, so I was only 3 FM dilated. But my midwife came and broke my water just after 1. Nowmits go time. My contractions started. They continued to get stronger but theybeere never really hard. With my 3 other deliveries it took about 9 hours from the time I had my water broken to the time I pushed them out, so I was expecting 9 o clock in the evening. Well they say went on with me walking and walking and walking some more. My friend came and walked with me some more. We had a lot of fun. I didn't wa t to get checked because I dont like a lot of interventions. My new midwife was very insistent on things like that. I told her this was how all my other deliveries were and it was 9 hours of this till the baby came.

The only really scary time was when I decided to take a nap. I was napping, which should of been a sign I wasnt progressing much, and the nurse rushed in. She ran in and was like I have got to check you. I think the cord might be prolapsed. Meaning the cord was in the way, or blocking the cervical opening. As the baby ascends it would be pushing on the cord. Which if it was a would have an emergency c-section because there would be a risk for losing the baby. After checking me, no the cord wasnt prolapsed but I also hadn't changed much in the several hours of laboring.

The nurse and the midwife suggested doing pitocin. I did not want to go that route because I knew it would make my natural labor and delivery so much harder. So I avoided it. They were also very insistent on checking me. I however was very insistent that I did not want to be checked. So we played a game of sorts on how long we could fend them off. When 9 o clock came and went and my contractions were still not getting any stronger my midwife suggest pitocin again. At this point I was just so tired.

My awareness for times was passing. About 10pm the pitocin was started. The co reactions changed immediately. I could feel a difference. As time went on they got stronger and stronger. They never turned it above a 4. So just that little bit of pitocin helped jump start me.

By this time my mom had come. The show was about to begin.  I did not want them to turn the pitocin up, so I was determined.  I could tell our was working and my contractions were getting stronger,  more regular and they were getting longer. I was hoping for another breeze delivery like olivers, but that wasn't happening and that was ok.

When 12 am came I knew we were so close. I told my midwife I would have this baby before 1 am. The nurse hair wanting to check me, at this point nobody ear going to check me.  I was very forn I would just then know when I read east to deliver.  I remeber telling the nurse that she needed to call the midwife assay 12:20am. That's when she needed to come in,  and I would be ready.  She probably thought I was crazy.  But my midwife came in at 12:22am to "check me". I already knew at that time u was ready to start the delivery process.

Lo and behold I was  ready.  I was able to manage my pain perfectly. K breathed through each contraction and focused solely on the pain. Feeling the contractions and focusing on the climb when I hit the climax and as it descended. The descend was my relax time. Anybody could tell just from my breathing where I was at in the contraction.

The delivery was much like Jackson's. When I was ready I knew it and pushed. He came out fast like the others just after a couple of pushes. Maybe it was the time or that I had anticipated him for so long or just the emotions from birth but I was really emotional after he was born and placed on my chest. It was announced that it was a boy. Another little bouncing boy. Another perfect soul. He was here finally.

I hoped that he would be the biggest baby. I really wanted a 9 pound baby. Though he was the smallest of the all. He was 8 lbs 9 oz. He measure 20.5 inches long. He was perfect. I handed him off to James, my mom and Lora as the shock of birth came over me. After each child I get super cold and shake almost uncontrollably. This is the time others get to hold him

He was q perfevt nursery and he has been a very delightful and amazing baby. He is such a happy soul and lights up when anybody is close. He has been the best sleeper and has spoiled us with 5 hour stretches right from the beginning.

I dont know if we are in fact done with having kids. But he sure is loved by us and his siblings.

No comments:

Post a Comment